Featured post

CEE PHOTOGRAPHY: Cells at Work!

Hey guys! I was invited to take photos of my friends who portrayed characters from a scientific anime called Cells at Work! It'...

Saturday 26 January 2013

Cosplay Interview by Louise Bacani

Hey guys!! Been in hiatus for about two weeks!! So sorry for the lack of updates on this blog.

Anyway, I have been interviewed for a few times already and the topic is always about cosplay. I feel a little flattered when I receive questionnaires from people for their articles and news entry because I know they value my opinion on the hobby. I think entries like this should be encouraged to increase awareness of cosplay.

Below is a set of questions sent by Louise for her article on cosplay. If you have an interview questionnaire that you would like to send me, email it to this address: yourstrulycee[at]ovi[dot]com

Enjoy!



  • What got you interested in cosplaying?

I was browsing for cosplay photos online when I stumbled upon a cosplayer’s online journal. After reading a lot of her posts on her cosplay adventures with her friends, I got inspired to dress up as one of my favorite anime characters. Her posts showed how much they enjoyed attending conventions and doing cosplay shoots, and these posts made me believe that I can also portray my favorite anime characters.

  • Why do you cosplay?

Cosplaying is more of a hobby to me. But what made me cosplay more and more is when people comment on how well I portrayed the character, the praises that I got on a prop I made and the joy of finding a new person with the same interest. It is nice to engage in a conversation with another cosplayer or otaku who is also obsessed with an anime you really love – and making friends with them at the end of the day.

  • What's the best part of cosplay for you? 

The planning stage is the best and my most favorite part: It’s when I plan out how to create the cosplay, from the props, costume and even my portrayal or skit.

  • Do you make your own costumes or do you buy them? Why?

Since I am not skilled in sewing clothes, I hire a seamstress to do the costumes. I personally choose the fabric to be used in my costumes and instruct the seamstress about the details of the costumes and all.

  • What happens to an outfit after you are done wearing it?

I keep it in a closet along with my other costumes. I do wear these costumes again in some other cosplay-related events but most of the time, as a new character. Reusing costumes isn't bad. You just have to do it properly for it to be effective.

  • What are some non-nerdy (not anime-related) things that you like to do in your spare time?

I love taking photos of my figure collection and I do love filming random things and blogging.

  • Is there a character you haven't cosplayed yet but want to in the future?

Yes, there is. I want to try portraying more male characters in the future; one is the Battousai from Samurai X OVA: Trust and Betrayal.

  • Do you have any advice for someone who might be interested in cosplaying but doesn't know how to start?

I will never get tired of saying this to new cosplayers: START WITH YOUR FAVORITE CHARACTER. It’s the easiest way to start. If you love this character, most probably you know his or her attitude, mannerisms and or movements that are important in portraying while on stage or during photoshoots and such. Also, start with someone who has a simple costume, like a character in a school uniform for example. This will give you an idea on what it feels like to actually wear the costume. It will feel a bit odd for some because there is a BIG difference between imagining yourself as the character and BEING the character. Good luck on your journey on becoming an awesome cosplayer!

1 comment:

  1. Cosplay, a combination of the words costume and play, is a culture in itself. Cosplayers dress up as their favorite anime, game, sci-fi and fantasy characters and attend conventions and events all over the world.

    ReplyDelete

 photo Online-Yellow-728x90.png